Monday, June 11, 2007

Used road bike, $225. New spandex bike shorts, $40. Riding 100 miles in one day, priceless.

Saturday, June 9, was the annual Emmaus Ministries* Endurance Ride. The ride is a 20-mile loop of country roads that bikers ride as often as they are able within the 12-hour time limit. I used my regular excuse – “I can’t, I have to take care of Sam.” – to keep myself off a bike. But excuses couldn’t stop Cliff.

Last year, Cliff rode 60 miles. This was quite an accomplishment, as Cliff’s new hip was just 9 months old, and he was riding a mountain bike built for someone much shorter. This year, Cliff pushed himself even further – literally – completing (drum roll please) … 100 miles! The perfect weather and his new road bike helped, but it was really his determination that got him to his goal. And, as a result, Cliff raised over $1300 for Emmaus.

“Just knowing that Amber – my beautiful, witty, and stunningly intelligent bride – was waiting at the finish line got me through those last difficult miles,” said Cliff.

Okay, he didn’t really say that. But I’m sure I was inspiring to him somehow. Sam did his best to cheer Daddy on too … and since he’s a little too young to use words, he wore his “Daddy’s team” onesie and brought a sign that said, “Go, Daddy, Go!”

*Most of you should remember that Cliff volunteered – full time – at Emmaus Ministries for two years after college. Emmaus helps guys struggling with addictions come off the streets. www.streets.org.

- Amber