Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Where have the Johnsons been?

Where have the Johnsons been? Well, the short answer is: the kitchen. Last week I exchanged my keyboard and digital camera for some power tools and ceramic tile. After all, I had been a homeowner for over six months, but I had yet to undertake a large improvement project. And so I embarked on a major rite of passage previously trekked by many 30-something males with little to no expertise in construction. Several discoveries were made during this (very) long weekend. First off, two years living in a developing country did not magically transform me into someone with great aptitude for manual labor. Secondly, when estimating the timeline for replacing your kitchen floor, arrive at a logical prediction (three days) and then multiply times two (six days). Third, when hiring a carpenter to teach you everything about kitchen tile, make certain that he is very kind, very patient, very bearded and very prone to listen to 80s and 90s pop music while working. At any rate, the results of another man's expertise and my own best efforts can be seen below. Our little home is now far friendlier to those who crawl rather than walk...although Sam cannot quite manage either just yet. He did seem to smile whenever he heard a power tool, though; start them young, that's what I say.

Cliff



BEFORE



















AFTER